Saturday, September 13, 2014

THE KUYKENDALL REVIEW [SIBERIAN HELLHOLE]


THE REVIEW: “So frightening of a read that I chose to store the book in my attic and under a case of crucifixes rather than place it upon my bookshelf.” —A.K. Kuykendall


  
AUTHOR BIO – MICHAEL MULVIHILL


Michael Mulvihill was born in Dublin, Ireland. He has published two horror novels, Siberian Hellhole and Diaboli of Dublin. He is working on his third horror novel.


THE INTERVIEW:

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I am an Irish author who has written two horror novels Diabolis of Dublin and Siberian Hellhole. Siberian Hellhole is an example of intelligent, apocalyptic, demon/vampire horror and Diabolis of Dublin is an example of a traditional vampire horror. I am now writing a third novel.

2. At what point in your life, did you decide you wanted to be a writer?

From the age of 15 I had this great desire to write and tell stories. It has not left me since.

3. What are your most memorable or proudest moments in your writing career?

Getting positive reviews from The Blog of Horror, UK Horror Scene, Fifth Dimension Blog, Matt Gunderson of The Boston Globe, Black Petals, and Horror Punks. This was a great honor for me.

4. Where would you like to see yourself in five years’ time?

I would love to see more novels written and to have a broader readership.

5. What advice do you wish you’d been given before starting your career in writing?

To not take personal criticism and to listen.

6. Tell us about the books you’ve written so far, and your plans for any future books?

I wrote a Russian Horror novel “Siberian Hellhole” about the main character, Tobias, who fears he is experiencing the onset of Cabin Fever. Little does he know his hut is situated underneath an underground portal to hell, with demons determined to wreak havoc on the inhabitants of his village. Diabolis of Dublin is my second novel, which is a traditional vampire horror concerning a vampire (Lucis Diabolis) who has fallen sick having exsanguinated the blood of inner city junkies. The next day whilst walking around the cemetery of Dublins Mount Jerome he decides that the cure for his infection lies in the consumption of noble blood. But how is he to get his hands on such blood?

7. Is there any part of your career, you find particularly challenging?

I find the marketing of my novels so tough. I also find getting a traditional publisher difficult. But I should be so optimistic because of the internet and because of publishers like amazon.com

8. Who do you feel, has supported you most, in your writing?

My father! He has been like a rock. Also my mother, wife, and best friend Cormac Daily whose I see as somewhat of a muse.

9. Is there anything you’d like to say to your readers?

If you like traditional vampires, look no further than my novel, Diabolis of Dublin. If you like intelligent literary, apocalyptic, vampire horror then read, Siberian Hellhole.

10. Where can we find out more about you and your books?

Just google Diabolis of Dublin and Siberian Hellhole they will come up.

11. Tell us a little about your book.

Siberian Hellhole is a story based around an audio from Siberian Miners that claimed they heard what they called real sounds from Hell. The audio can be found on YouTube. I found the story inspiring and frightening enough and it inspired my novel, Siberian Hellhole.

12. Why did you choose to change your book cover?

I did not believe the original book cover did my novel true justice but the second cover shows exactly what the book is about. Siberian Hellhole is about demons, vampires, zombies and cannibals attacking a village in Siberia. This is what the second cover shows.

13. What inspired you to write your book?

I wanted to write about psychosis, vampires, demons, the Devil, witches from antiquity, loneliness, isolation, depression, cabin fever, cults, the apocalypse, how people have become so selfish, communism, perestroika, and Glasnost. Siberian Hellhole was a venue for my desires to be realized.

14. Are the character profiles based on people you know or are they completely drawn from your imagination?

No! The work is a piece of fiction

15. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

No! My work is purely fictional.

16. Which part of the book, in your opinion, was the most difficult to write?

Well the book is somewhat a meditation on isolation and loneliness. This is always hard to write. It can make you also feel lonely.

17. What parts of the book do you love, in particular?

The opening chapter where I describe the desolation of Siberia and I talk about the intense loneliness of the hut that Tobias is living in. I bring, in this chapter, the reader to the brink of psychosis as I describe fear, paranoia, and cabin fever. It really was a great chapter to write.

18. Tell us about the cover design of your book.

Tomi Kerminen of Finland created this stunning cover where you see a demon gaping out of a hole. This captures the meaning of the story behind Siberian Hellhole.

19. Which ways have you chosen to market your book?

Through Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc.

20. If you had to do it all over again, is there anything you’d change?

I would worry less and relax more.

21. Where can we find out more or buy the book?

You can find them on amazon.com

22. Who are you?

I am an author of an apocalyptic horror and a vampire novel from Dublin, Ireland.

23. What are the titles of your books?

“Siberian Hellhole” and “Diabolis of Dublin”

24. Who is your favourite author?

Fyodor Doestoevsky

25. Worst book you have ever read?

Emma by Jane Austen

26. What book are you reading now?

Dead Souls by Gogol

27. Your favourite quote about writing/authors:

“All writing is rewriting” —John Green

28. Your biggest inspiration:

Sigmund Freud

29. Something you can’t live without:

Coffee!

30. Your pet-hate:

Procrastination

31. Your favourite place to be:

Zestafoni, West Republic of Georgia

32. Something you like/love about yourself?

I like the fact that I have this great desire to be a writer and to work at being a writer. This desire to work hard as a writer has been with me since I was 15.

33. Something you’d change about yourself?

I would love to be even harder working than I am at present. I am always looking to develop my writing.

34. Your ideal life would be:

I would be delighted if I could gain a wide readership for my writing because I adore writing fiction. This is my life and I am certain my writing merits a broad readership.



Pragmatic author A.K. Kuykendall has a passion for writing conspiracy, espionage, horror, and suspense literature that blend the concepts of fact and fiction. For more information on his projects, visit http://www.thewriterofbooks.com/list-of-works/ or, to email the author directly for Q&A on this post, write to info@thewriterofbooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment