Friday, September 12, 2014

I WANT TO BE A FATHER

Harry Chapin’s lyrics in “Cats in the Cradle” truly resonates with me. Never more so then when I welcomed my boys Kal-El Price Kuykendall and Jor-El Price Kuykendall into the world.

I well up with tears in reflection of my rather hectic work schedule that has, more often than not, led me to travel for long periods and when I'm at home, I find that my time with them is drastically cut short by the amount of work hours I must maintain as a salaried executive not to mention I literally being glued to my company phone when I’m not at the office. I bother not my employers with this grievance for they’d simply say, “Salaried managers are never off.” I know this to be a true statement.

As a father, however, my obligation is to my children in every capacity. Not just to feed them, put a roof over their heads, and cloth them, but to love them with an ever presence. An attentive ear with as much time as they require, a hug, a kiss, and words unfiltered by the muffle of a phone line. Love in our world is already a diminishing value and for those fathers who, like me, revel in the legacy we’ve seen fit to bring into this world; we owe it to our children to be ever present. In our children’s eyes we are a mirror and in order to foster greatness, we must reflect the same.


   
Pragmatic author A.K. Kuykendall has a passion for writing conspiracy, espionage, horror, and suspense literature that blend the concepts of fact and fiction. For more information on his projects, visit http://www.thewriterofbooks.com/list-of-works/ or, to email the author directly for Q&A on this post, write to info@thewriterofbooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment